Black Eyed Peas, Greens, and Sweet Potato in Spicy Peanut Broth
Course: Main Dish
Cuisine: West African
- ½ cup dry black eyed peas
- 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 inch knob ginger peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp salted natural peanut butter, heaping
- ⅛ tsp chipotle pepper powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 2 cups savory vegetarian broth (in notes)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp peanut oil
- 10 oz Chopped Fresh Kale (or collards, spinach, or whatever greens you have available)
- 1 tsp of soy sauce or to taste (optional)
- A drop of liquid smoke optional
- Couple dashes habanero tabasco sauce optional
Sautee onions in peanut oil over med-high heat until slightly golden.
Add in jalepenos and ginger, stir and cook 1 minute.
Add in tomato paste, stir, and cook until thickened (about 1 minute).
Add a splash of broth and water, stir, add beans, stir. Add broth, chipotle, cayenne, and vinegar, stir. Add peanut butter and stir.
Bring to a boil, let boil 1 minute, reduce to a simmer, and cook 30 minutes. Add more water if need, but no more than 2 cups. Add kale. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Chopped fresh parsley
Chopped roasted peanuts
Halved grape tomatoes