Sri Lankan Devilled Tofu
- 2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste (or 3 clv fresh minced and 1 inch grated)
- 1 onion, chopped into large chunks
- 2 tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 jalapenos, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 tsp vegan fish sauce (omit if unavailable)
- 2 tsp sambal chili
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped large
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped large
- 10 fresh curry leaves,
- 1 handful fresh cilantro (optional)
- 16 oz super dense high protin tofu, (or extra firm pressed), cubed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 tsp sambal chili
Cube tofu and mix with marinade. Let sit for about 30 minutes.
Heat some oil in a heavy bottom skillet (will try without oil soon and update if it's tasty). Fry tofu until brown on all sides and remove.
Add ginger and garlic paste, (or fresh) and stir for 30 seconds. 2 minutes if using fresh.
Add chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook until reduced.
Next add jalapenos, soy sauce, sweet chili, ketchup, fish sauce, sambal, salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes.
Add fried tofu, bell peppers, and curry leaves. Cook for a few minutes until the peppers are crisp tender. Do not over cook.
Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.